Saturday, January 31, 2015

Week 3: Potential Storybook Styles


Topic. My storybook will be about Indian Epic love stories. My goal is to compile four different love stories and speak in a first person point of view or maybe a third person point of view. Some of them may be told by the males, others may be in the view of the females; it just depends on how I am feeling that day. I want to bring different sides into view because men and women often have different thoughts when it comes to falling in love. If I did not choose to do first person point of view and did third person, I would make it like you were reading a children’s storybook.

Possible Styles:
Cupid. Because my Storytelling will be based on epic love stories, I feel that cupid must be included. Cupid is associated with Valentine’s day which is centered around love; thus I feel it is necessary to include cupid in all of them. I would also like to have a story only about cupid because if we have more background on his history then I can somehow integrate him into my other stories easier.

Journal Entries. I think it would be really great to write in a journal entry form. As many of us have experienced, it is really great to write about your feelings in a journal. As for love stories, I think this would be a perfect view because it would allow us to really tell the characters emotions! If I did this, I would switch off between both characters so we can see both sides.

Fairy Tales. As with many Disney movies and other fairy tales, I would love to start with a “Once Upon a Time…” Often times in real life our “love stories” don’t end up with a happily ever after. I think it would be really refreshing to hear about a story that ends in a “Happily Ever After” format. It may seem a bit cheesy, but I like it!

Different Cultures. Although this is an Epics of India course, I think it would be pretty fun to convert these Indian Epics into different stories that take place in other cultures. For example, I would have a couple from Spain, China, Italy, etc. Of course, I would either start the story in India or have them move to India throughout the course of their love story because I want to integrate the Indian culture into the story!

(Image of Cupid Found Online)


Bibliography:
1. Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic.
2. Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment