Saturday, January 17, 2015

Week 1 Storybook Favorites


My first story of choice is Mermaid Maiden. I chose this story because I spend a lot of time swimming in the ocean so it sparked my interest. It is a story about a man who went through a traumatic experience when he lost his whole family in a car accident. It takes place with him living in a new community where everyone was nice to him but he still couldn't connect with anyone.  He sat outside and watched the sunrise each morning to feel the same warmth he felt with his family before they passed away. One morning he heard singing. He was shocked because it was always so quiet when he was out there. He followed the singing and found a cave that he knew he had to explore.

Image mermaid found online at Deviant Art.

My second story was that of Cupid and Psyche. I chose this because one of my degrees is in Psychology, so the word ‘psyche’ stands out to me. It is a story of how cupid fell in love with a mortal (Psyche), even though he is a God. His mother, Venus did not like her. Cupid showed Psyche how much he loved her just through his voice. His mother did not support him, but he pursued her anyway. He eventually was able to give her ambrosia which made her immortal so they could be together forever. 

The last story I read was called Jungle Tiger Stories. The first thing that came to my mind was the jungle book. I thought of how the tiger and humans were able to interact in that movie. In this story, there is an old monkey named Virgil that is near his end days. He dreamed of having one last adventure before he passed. He ran into a little boy who had wandered from his parents and got lost in the jungle.Virgil agreed to lead the boy back to his parents if the boy would agree to join Virgil’s last adventure.





3 comments:

  1. I thought the Jungle Tiger Stories was really interesting! I feel like the added dialogue gave the storybook an element of adventure and intrigue that would otherwise not have been present in the absence of dialogue. The concept of the story is very entertaining and adventurous and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Overall, this storybook probably ranks as one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your story about the Mermaid Maiden. It had a lot of mystery and it was interesting to look at! I also liked the Jungle Tiger Stories because it was an adventurous story and it was something different from the other storybooks that I had come across!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Courtney!

    I really thought the Jungle Tiger Stories were really interesting. I agree with you that seeing the title makes me think of the Jungle Book. Also the storybook title makes me think of adventure. Also the Mermaid Maiden seems to have a lot of mystery and wonder with it. When I think of the ocean I always think of what could be a the bottom of it? What are the wonders that we haven't yet discovered there.

    ReplyDelete