Saturday, January 24, 2015

Indian Epics Topics Brainstorm

1. Possible Topic: Hanuman. I was interested in this topic because, for starters, I love monkeys. I have seen photos of monkeys and I am interested in learning about their significance because they are depicted as gods. Also, because Rama is one of my favorite characters, I felt that learning about one of his most devoted followers would be interesting!


Research so far. This is my first time learning about Hanuman so I looked up on Wikipedia to gain so background knowledge. I scrolled down to the “Adventures in Ramayana” section. In here it mentions that Hanuman met Rama during his 14-year exile when Rama is searching for his wife Sita.

(Photo of Hanuman found on Wikipedia)

2. Possible Topic: Ravana. I am choosing to study Ravana because he is my least favorite character in the Ramayana so far. I feel it is important to learn about protagonists as well as antagonists when getting into a story.

Research so far. As noted previously, he is the main antagonist in the Ramayana. After exploring a bit on Wikpedia, I learned that the literal translation for Ravana in Sanskrit is “crying” or “causing to cry.” I also learned that Ravana is the god that is described as having ten heads.
(Photo of Ravana found online)


3. Possible Topic: Ganesha. I have heard the name Ganesha before, but I cannot remember. The name sparked a memory so I thought this would be a good topic to study. I believe I may have heard of this god in one of my yoga classes.

Research so Far: According to Wikipedia, Ganesha is known as the God of wisdom, knowledge and new beginnings. Ganesha also has the head of an elephant which makes him so distinct. After reading more, I now know where I have heard of this god. He is part of the first chakra and he guides and supports all of the other chakras.


(Picture symbolizing the importance of Ganesha found on Pinterest)

4. Possible Topic: Karma. Karma is a concept that I strongly believe in. Although bad things happen can happen to good people, I believe that overall people will be rewarded for good things.


Research so Far. I do not know much about Karma, but I did research on Wikipedia. I have seen the Lotus in many traditions that have karma as a central theme. I learned that the Lotus represents karma because a lotus is one of the few flowers that can carry a seed while blooming at the same time; ultimately, it is showing that one can grow and remain unstained even in muddy situations.

(Picture of a Lotus found online)



No comments:

Post a Comment