Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Week 6 Storytelling: Hanuman Goes to Lanka

Soon after I was granted eternal life I found some jewelry laying on the ground. I had never seen anything like it before. Once I heard that Rama’s wife was missing I thought the jewelry could be hers so I brought it to him immediately. He was so grateful and I could see the pain in his eyes because he missed Sita. I was instantly  in awe with him. There are very few people on this earth that get to experience true love and he needed help finding his one true love. I knew that he was going to become my best friend. I chose to forever become loyal to him. He informed me that he was sending out a search party for Sita while he held down the fort so I offered to help; little did I know I would soon lead the party.

As we prepared for our departure the night before, I had to introduce myself to everyone. Some were kind, others were weirded out that a monkey was joining. Overall, I felt good about making the decision and slept well for the next day.

The next morning we headed for Sita. We ran into a man named Sampati and he told us that he had seen Sita with Rama overhead flying to Lanka. We decided to take a vote on who was to go across the sea, since there was no bridge for all of us to go. I guess the troops like me more than I’d thought because they all voted for me! I want to make Rama proud and show him my loyalty.

As I crossed the sea, I had a chance to rest on the mountain Mainaka. She was very nice and told me stories as she served me lunch. After that, I had to face the sea demon that was protecting the island. She was vicious but I was able to penetrate her aorta and kill her. Nothing will get in the way of me finding Sita!!!

I finally arrived at the island and realized I needed to disguise myself because no one there has ever seen a flying monkey before. I changed into the shape of a cat because I saw one walk by. It was very different viewing the world from that close to the ground. I’m not sure that I would enjoy being a cat for all of eternity. Eventually Lanka found out that it was me and she was convinced that I was fulfilling the curse of Ravana. I found Sita and made sure she knew I was working for Rama. She gave me something to show Rama when I returned with the news.


Photo of Hanuman found online.


Author's Note: I chose to write from Hanuman's point of view because he is such a loyal friend and follower of Rama. I thought it would be interesting to hear why he loves Rama so much and what he endures on his journey through land and sea to find Sita. 


Bibliography:
Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

1 comment:

  1. This story was one I really wished was fleshed out more in the Ramayana! Writing it from Hanuman's point of view was a great approach, and the added details of Hanuman stopping on Mainaka were great. You totally should have added more details of Hanuman battling the sea monster too! Seeing Hanuman's devotion and love for Rama is inspiring and adds a whole new side to this story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete