Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary B: Buck’s Ramayana

The start of diary B readings for Buck’s Ramayana starts off where Narayan’s Ramayana begins. I like having some background information on Ravana. This part of the reading was much shorter than that of part A, the opening address. The exile of Rama in Buck’s epic seems a bit downplayed in comparison to Narayan’s. I was a bit underwhelmed with how he was forced to leave Ayodhya because of Kaikeyi, however, it does mention again that Rama tells his father not to be angry with her. Once again, we are able to see how great of a character Rama is. This epic gives more detail of Rama and his arrival in the forest. 

The reading part B ends with the death of Dasharatha which was of course sad to read again. I felt that this was moving a lot faster with much less detail than Narayan’s epic. I feel that if I read this epic before the other one I may not feel quite as strong of a connection to the characters. I am hoping that in the Week 5 readings we will get into more depth with the characters. I look forward to reading about the Hanuman again and the exile of Sita! 

Photo of Dasharatha found online 

No comments:

Post a Comment