Thursday, April 9, 2015

Week 12 Essay: Life of Buddha

This is the first week that I decided to try the UnTextbook option. The reading diaries for the Ramayana and Mahabharata started to become a bit repetitive, so I went ahead and tried this one out. I really really enjoyed it! Because of my background in yoga (along with social media), I have heard many Buddha quotes. They have always been very inspirational and I am constantly trying to rid negativities in my life. Because of this outlook, I decided to read about The Life of Buddha this week. Although there were many other intriguing options, this one seemed the most interesting to me.

When I first started reading, it was not at all how I expected it to be. I thought that the story would be about Buddha and his teachings and medications and how he touched people’s lives. However, it started off with his mother receiving news that she was to bear a very special child. When I was reading this story I couldn’t help but think about the story in the Bible pertaining to Mary and immaculate conception with Jesus.


Eventually Buddha was born and he was a prince. Everyone loved him everywhere he went because he was stunning. He chose to live the life of a hermit and it hurt his father’s feelings but he was proud of his son. That was one of the main differences as opposed to the Jesus story. Jesus claimed to be king but he knew that his kingdom was not of tis world. Many people (aside from his followers) ridiculed him and mocked him as the King of the Jews. I would really encourage anyone who claims to be a Christian to read this story to look at the parallels between the Life of Buddha and the story depicted by the Bible. I would also like to get a timeline on when the Life of Buddha was originally written because that could lead to some controversial debates. Overall, I am so glad I read this because it has my mind racing!


Photo found online.

No comments:

Post a Comment