Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Writing Review Week

Upon entering this class, I didn’t know what to expect.  When I found out that we would be writing blog posts every week along with a project that included more writing, I was immediately overwhelmed. However, as time has gone on I think this class has helped me get over a “writers block” as some would call it. Because I am a science student, my courses have not required me to write like this. In combination with a couple other courses, this semester has required more writing than all of my undergraduate work combined. This class in particular has really helped me just flow. It also has helped work the creative side of my brain {which has always been lacking}. I usually am given information, memorize it, and the regurgitate it. This class has taught me to take information, digest it, and then put my own unique spin on things. I have learned so much because of it! 


For the second half of the semester, I’d like to bring more quotes into my stories. I have been avoiding a third person point of view because I dread the writing part with commas and quotation marks. It would be a disaster to critique! I have read many other students blogs that have included this type of writing so I think if I continue to read a few more I may be comfortable enough to do it myself. I really enjoy the feedback that I’ve received and given to students. Part of being a college student is to learn. Although we turn to our professors for guidance, it is amazing how much we can learn from our peers. This class has taught me to do so even more than before. I am truly amazed at what this class has done for me. I came in wanting to learn about some awesome stories (which I have ) but I also get to leave with a whole new appreciation for authors, peers, and of course my professors. This has been really rewarding because it is unlike any class I’ve taken. It will be wonderful to look back at the blog that I’ve been compiling for a whole semester. 
Image found online



3 comments:

  1. Courtney, I think that you should try adding conversations and dialogue within your stories. It can do so much for the progression of your story. Don’t worry about receiving too much harsh criticism because I’m sure you’ll be fine. Plus, everyone makes mistakes, and I don’t think that any of our classmates will judge you too harshly. Also, you can look up how to do quotes and dialogue correctly online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    When I read your post I started to crack up, because I am the same exact way! I was SO overwhelmed when I read the amount of writing we were going to have to do (and CREATIVE writing, at that!). I also agree with you on changing up writing style. It seems so intimidating to add in dialogue and such, but I believe in you! Best of luck on the rest of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, I completely agree with you on feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the writing in this course! This class somehow has definitely helped create a more imaginative and opinionated persona through writing, especially for our capstone! Sometimes changing up how you usually write becomes difficult when you are not use to altering dialogue through various point of views. I agree with you on how much this class has given to us as writers, and having this blog has definitely been rewarding!

    ReplyDelete